Me cleaning the BSA barrels

Fixing the BSA

BSA frame with engine out and my Yamaha XS 650 in the background

About eighteen months ago Ruth and I went for a ride on the BSA Lightning I have stabled in the garage. I love this old bike, but like all vintage machines, it requires constant maintenence – sometimes more than others. On this occasion, we were about half an hour into our ride when the engine started to develop some alarming rattles. Not good. So we took it home and there it stayed – until recently. Now I have pulled the engine out of the frame and it is in parts stored in cardboard boxes.

Me cleaning the BSA barrels

For those who care to know, it turns out the camshaft was showing significant wear on one of the lobes, and there was evidence that one of the tappets was bent – seized in its housing in all likelihood. I surmised that the cause was due to a failing oil pump, because when I examined the pump it was showing signs of falling apart!
So, several hundred dollars worth of spare parts later, I am now ready to put the whole thing back together. Currently I’m waiting for some spare parts from my supplier – British Spares.

The BSA Cylinder head
The BSA Cylinder head

2 thoughts on “Fixing the BSA”

  1. hi , i just googled frank zappia and came to your blog-i’d like to contact him to see if he has any spares for his bsa rocket 3(i have a friend building one).i meet him around 2000 when i lived in sydney.any chance you could email me his number or alternatively give him my email-tell him its andy the kiwi whom bugged him about ductai stuff around 2000.thanks,andy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *