Sunday morning I decided to wheel the Yammie 650 out of its stable and give it a run. With Ruth on the back, we set off on a briskly cool morning and were heading for the new(ish) village on Parramatta River called Birkenhead Point.
About eighteen months ago Ruth and I went for a ride on the BSA Lightning I have stabled in the garage. I love this old bike, but like all vintage machines, it requires constant maintenence – sometimes more than others. On this occasion, we were about half an hour into our ride when the engine started to develop some alarming rattles. Not good. So we took it home and there it stayed – until recently. Now I have pulled the engine out of the frame and it is in parts stored in cardboard boxes.
For those who care to know, it turns out the camshaft was showing significant wear on one of the lobes, and there was evidence that one of the tappets was bent – seized in its housing in all likelihood. I surmised that the cause was due to a failing oil pump, because when I examined the pump it was showing signs of falling apart!
So, several hundred dollars worth of spare parts later, I am now ready to put the whole thing back together. Currently I’m waiting for some spare parts from my supplier – British Spares.